Distinguished Speaker Series
Our popular lecture series invites members of the San Antonio community to experience lectures by prestigious experts in foreign affairs. Previous speakers include:
- James Olson, former CIA Chief of Counterintelligence, on “Ethics and Espionage: The Moral Dilemmas of Spying”
- Ambassador Paula Dobriansky on “Beyond the Ukraine: Russia’s Grab for its Neighbors”
- Gen. Michael Hayden, former Director of the National Security Agency and former Director of the CIA, on “The Government, Security, and Me.”
Ambassador Luncheon Series
This large-scale luncheon provides opportunities for community members to understand a diplomat’s perspective on top issues in foreign affairs. As another element of our educational outreach, a number of students receive complimentary admission. Previous speakers include:
- The Right Honourable Henry McLeish on “The European Union: What is Next for this Unique Project?”
- Ambassador Thomas A. Shannon, former US Ambassador to Brazil, on “The U.S. Response to the Central American Migration Crisis.”
Reserved for members joining at the Diplomat level and above, these small, intimate gatherings engage members with high-level current and former diplomats, providing insight on the internal workings of international relations.
Foreign Diplomat Reception
This event to honor our regional diplomats and consulates convenes World Affairs Council of San Antonio members and members of the business community to engage with international representatives.
International Citizen of the Year Award Gala
Our annual benefit honors San Antonio citizens who have served to “bring the world to San Antonio, and San Antonio to the world,” and hosts prestigious keynote speakers. Previous honorees include Joaquin and Julián Castro, Dr. Henry Cisneros, and prominent San Antonio businesspeople like Graham Weston, chairman and founder of Rackspace. Previous keynote speakers include former First Lady Laura Bush, former President Bill Clinton, and Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post.
Held in collaboration with the San Antonio Fulbright Association, these exclusive events connect our Global Leader members with unique speakers on their experiences in international relations. Previous speakers include individuals like Bashar Ahmed, former security support and translator for General David Petraeus, who shared the incredible story of his escape from Iraq.
An Evening with the Ambassador of Chile
May 2015 Distinguished Speaker: Amb. Paula Dobriansky
2015 Foreign Diplomatic Corps Reception
Fulbright Roundtable: Bashar Ahmed, former security support & translator for General David Petraeus